Introduction to Hand Tools
This five day class will introduce woodworkers to basic hand tool use. In the process of building a small box with a sliding lid we will use rabbet, dado, molding, toothing, smoothing and panel raising planes; backsaws, marking gauges, scrapers, paring and dovetail chisels. Hide glue will be used to veneer the lid and a few carving tools will be used to carve a small shell and some curved molding. The goal of the class is to be able to do basic joinery with hand tools. Of course, sharpening and setting up the tools will be covered.
I’ve tried to roll as many hand tool operations as possible into this small box. Past students have agreed that the box they made was the perfect vehicle for learning lots of varied skills. See for yourself and learn a lot!
All materials are included and will be a combination of cherry, mahogany and Spanish cedar, with the veneer being your choice from my stock.
2023 Class Schedule
October 2-6, 2023
8 am – 5:30 pm
Beginner to Intermediate
- Smoothing plane- Wood River 150874w #4 or Lie-Nielsen no. 4, 45 degree, iron
- Backsaw-rip-Veritas 05T0501 or LN 1-saw-TDS or 1-saw-DS
- ½″or ⅝″ dovetail chisel- has beveled edges- Pfeil Swiss Made ½ CM12 and mallet Pfeil HK 70 mm (optional)
- Marking gauge- Lee Valley beech marking gauge 35N06.05
- Rabbet plane-LV moving fillister plane 24P22 10 or, if you want the best one out there, in my opinion-Veritas RH (or LH if you’re a lefty) skew rabbet plane, 01, 05P45.57
Scraper blade-LN 1-HSET (there are 2) and mill bastard file to sharpen it
- Low angle block plane-Wood River 151125W or Veritas low angle 01, 05P22.51
- Try square 6″
- Leather strop
- Carving tools: Pfeil Swiss Made D-12-6 or D-12-8, 5-5, 5-12, 8-13
- Small pair of dividers or compass
10% Off Lie-Nielsen Tools
Join My Email List!
Be the first to know when new classes are added.